NERC Vocabulary Server version 2.0 (NVS2.0)
For information on the services, please go to the British Oceanographic Data Centre's
Web Services pages.
Concepts, collections and schemes
NVS2.0 makes use of the World Wide Web Consortium's Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS)
to represent knowledge in a format understandable by computers. SKOS combines concepts into both
collections and schemes. These three terms are defined below.
A SKOS concept can be viewed as an idea or notion; a unit of thought. The notion of a
SKOS concept is useful when describing the conceptual or intellectual structure of a knowledge organization
system, and when referring to specific ideas or meanings established within that system.
A concept collection is useful where a group of concepts shares something in common, and it is convenient to group
them under a common label. In NVS2.0, concept collections are synonymous with controlled vocabularies or code lists.
A concept scheme can be viewed as an aggregation of one or more SKOS concepts. Semantic relationships (links) between those
concepts may also be viewed as part of a concept scheme. A concept scheme is therefore useful for containing the concepts
registered in multiple concept collections but which are related to each other as a single semantic unit, such as a thesaurus.
Consumers may access the vocabulary server either using the ReSTful Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) described below or via SOAP.
SOAP consumers should generate their client implementation from the WSDL available at
Collection, concept and scheme URIs
Collections, concepts and schemes are presented to the server as URIs
(in this case actually Uniform Resource Locators - URLs) having the following syntax:
- http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection - Provides a catalogue of the available concept collections
- http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/collectionID/collectionVersion/status/ - Provides access to a specified concept collection
- collectionID is an internal opaque identifier for the concept collection, e.g. P02 for the SeaDataNet Parameter Discovery Vocabulary
- collectionVersion may be a valid concept collection version number or current (default) to specify the latest version of the collection
- status may be all (default), accepted or deprecated to indicate whether all concepts related to a collection should be returned, or only the accepted or deprecated concepts
Example fully encoded URLs
- http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/collectionID/collectionVersion/conceptID/ - Provides access to a specified concept
conceptID is an internal opaque identifier for the concept within the concept collection, e.g. TEMP for 'Temperature of the water column' in the SeaDataNet Parameter Discovery Vocabulary.
Example fully encoded URLs
- http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/scheme - Provides a catalogue of the available concept schemes
- http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/scheme/schemeID/ - Provides access to a specified concept scheme
schemeID is an internal opaque identifier for the concept scheme, e.g. ICANCOERO for the International Coastal Atlas Network Coastal Erosion Thesaurus.
Example fully encoded URL
© NERC, 2016. Last updated
August 26, 2016